On April 10th, 1823, the Kentucky School for the Deaf was established in Danville, Kentucky; it was the nation’s first publicly-supported school of its kind. The deaf were of particular concern to General Elias Barbee, a Kentucky state senator, as his daughter was deaf. In 1822, Barbee and John Rowan wrote legislation to authorize the creation of the school, and on December 7th of that year, Governor John Adair signed it into law. With the help of Henry Clay, the Kentucky School for the Deaf received two federal land grants in 1826 and 1836. The school is still in operation, providing learning opportunities for hundreds of students throughout its history.