As workers completed resurfacing Cheapside today, it marks the first time the city’s Market Square has not been under pavement since 1928. The square was authorized by the Virginia Assembly in 1789. In 1831, after the first horse show west of the Alleghenies was held there in 1829, the square was paved. Following the abolishment of the monthly Court Days in 1921 as a public nuisance, the square was converted to a park in 1928.
Below is the view this afternoon, compared to a view c. 1880.
Cheapside, April 9, 2009
Cheapside, c. 1880