On January 17th, 1976, McConnell Springs was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
In the spring of 1775, frontier explorer William McConnell and his men set up camp at a natural spring near Elkhorn Creek, which was located in what used to be the state of Virginia. When McConnell and the other explorers heard of the colonists’ victory against Great Britain in the Battles of Lexington and Concord, the men named their campsite “Lexington”.
Due to the threat of Indian attacks, the building of a permanent settlement was delayed until 1779, when Colonel Robert Patterson and his men came from Fort Harrod to build a blockhouse. Soon after, cabins and a stockade were added to the settlement, and the town of Lexington was finally established on May 6th, 1782. The exact location of the camp settled by McConnell is known today as McConnell Springs, and now serves as a park and recreation place for citizens of Lexington.